Gospel music is a type of music that Christians generally play for commercial purposes, worship and also pleasure. Piano is actually one of the fundamental musical instruments in many gospel bands and those who would like to learn the secrets behind playing Gospel piano, will need to train for a long time. Thus, if you want to learn how to play this piano just for fun or in order to back up your school’s choir, there are a few concepts you will need to learn which will eventually allow you to do so.
1. It’s important you focus on playing and learning chords. There are plenty of them and a plethora of ways to make them. In order to learn new chords regularly, it’s recommended you will buy a chord dictionary, which can easily be found online. The idea is that the more chords you know, the better you will be when having to play them.
2. The seventh chords are vital to the gospel sound, so make sure you recognize them. A triad for instance, consists of 3 notes from the scale with the same name as the chord. They are the 1st, 3rd and 5th notes on the C major scale. In this scale, the notes are C, D, E, F, G, A, B. The 1st, 3rd and 5th notes on this scale number C, E, G. In order to create a C major chord, you will thus need to play these chords.
Yet maybe you don’t want to play a C major scale and if that’s the case, no problem, you can easily repeat the same formula with an G major chord. Now, if you will add the 7th note of the scale to the triad, you will create a vital chord formation in gospel, which is the 7th chord. The minor chord is yet another vital chord in gospel music and you can create it by playing the 3rd note flat.
3. Doubling a chord actually means playing a chord on the treble clef and also on the bass clef of the piano. This is a method that is generally used in gospel in order to infuse music that huge sound we all like. On top of that, it also acts as a support for the singer when he’s singing a gospel song. Because gospel is a spiritual music, it’s essential that the piano player will put the vocalist at the forefront.
4. You also need to play chord inversions. Maybe you will think inversions are hard, but that’s not true at all. For instance just take the 3 notes of a C major chord: C-E-G. So in order to play an inversion, play G-E-C or if you want another inversion, you can play G-C-E.
— Chevonne Reynolds (@chevonee) September 18, 2009
5. Playing gospel as much as you can is very important. Also, every time you will be let in on a new song make sure you will master the chords you need to play it. You will not only learn new songs, but also new chords. Regardless of how much theory you know, nothing can beat practice!
When you’ll play songs, consider singing along. It doesn’t matter if you don’t have a good voice, yet with the lyrics being so important in the message of music, you can be guided and inspired with your practice sessions. You will also train your timing on chord changes when playing songs.